Sunday 18 December 2011

24. Back in the UK

This return back to the UK, after 5 months "on the road", was planned to give me the chance to spend time with Mum, to catch up with friends and to sort out one or two domestic matters (I won't bore you with the details!)  Fitting everything in to just one week was going to prove my biggest challenge!

With Mum's Birthday and Christmas falling together I had booked tickets to take her to see the show "Jersey Boys" in London. Bad weather had prevented her from seeing the show the year before.  Jersey Boys tells the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and with songs like "Sherry", "Walk Like A Man" and "Oh What A Night" I knew my Mum would love the music.  This combined with a great story and stage show have resulted in it winning many top awards!  
We both loved the show, and combined with a great lunch with Freya in Pimlico before, it made for a perfect day out, not disrupted by the snow this time around!
------------------------------------------------------------
A visit to a rainy and windswept Rye in East Sussex meant that after our fish and chip lunch Mum and I only got the chance to see the famous windmill and feed the ducks before heading back home!
------------------------------------------------------------
Amongst those I did get the chance to see it was great to catch up with a few of my work buddies!  Sadly one person was a little disappointed with their food that evening though:
Maybe it was his 12" Partridgesque dinner plate that made his desert look so small? Check out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swJFOE49LRQ
As it turned out, there are just not enough hours in the day and I wasn't able to get to see everyone that I had wanted to! Most importantly spending the week with Mum meant a lot to both of us. I boarded the flight to Calgary pretty exhausted but happy about the week just passed, and also excited about the prospect of seeing Svan and the next part of our adventure, in the snowy mountains of Fernie, British Columbia - bring it on!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a night - and I'm not referring to Jersey Boys..with a master class in attracting the attention of the waitress to boot !

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I was asking for was a 'man-sized' portion, is that too much to ask?!

    ReplyDelete